Sunday, March 13, 2011

Game of Thrones

This is not a real post, because as you read this I will be in Colorado recovering from 18 hours alone in the car with my monsters darling children.

But I am ridiculously excited about this, so I had to share..



    If you have no idea what this is all about, then I'll tell you.

    This is an HBO adaptation of one of the best fantasy series ever written. The series is actually called "A Song of Ice and Fire" and its written by George R. R. Martin.

    You may remember that I am a fantasy fan. But if you've read a few fantasy novels, you understand that they often follow a pattern:

    • Young person (usually a boy) finds out that he's not who he thought he was - maybe its a family history thing or maybe he himself is just special.

    • He goes on a journey because of some tragedy that's happened.

    • He is guided by someone (usually an old man) that he's known for awhile, if not his entire life.

    • He discovers that said guide is really someone very powerful and well known.


    The reason why I love George R. R. Martin's books is that they follow no formula. I have read many, many fantasy novels, and most of them don't surprise me anymore. GRRM throws me for a loop at every turn. You never know what he's going to do. In fact, though there are dozens of unsolved questions in his series, there's only one that I am fairly sure I know the answer to.

    I won't spoil it for you, but I highly reccommend reading the books and watching the series. It promises to be amazing.*



    *And for you guys out there - there should be quite a bit of T & A.



    1 comment:

    bluzdude said...

    I'm just hoping that you manage to make it to Colorado without any of your darling children screaming to be let out of the trunk.