Sunday, August 29, 2010

JJ Goes to the Shrink Part 2

If you don't know where we left off, you might want to go here.

Doctor #5 called me back..

Me: Hello?

Doctor: Hi! This is Doctor Shrink, is this Jennifer?

Me: Yes.

Doctor: I got your message and I am taking new patients. When would you like to come in?

Hallelujah!!!!! And thank the Lord and all that good stuff.

We talked and set my appointment up for the next day after work.

So when I got there the next day I found his office very easily, but it was really more like a broom closet than an office, and immediately made me feel a little claustrophobic.

It was better when I was out of the waiting room and in his actual office. Still a cabinet, but it had a window.

He took all my information and then we got to talking and I told him how everyone was pissing me off.

We talked about mom and he said I should stand up to her.

No shit Sherlock, but then I have to live with her after. You don't know my mother.

We talked about Perry and his visitation which shocked the fuck out him.

I can't say he's the first one. But he is the first that when given all the facts didn't immediately understand that my hands are tied. And I haven't decided yet if that makes him smarter than everyone else, or an idiot.

We talked about work and he thinks I ought to throw some people to the wolves.

That would be nice, but in the real world there are consequences for that shit, and I'm not even talking about karma.

We even talked a little about Dr. No Personality.

Dr. Shrink thinks I should bitch him up one side and down the other.

And then towards the end he told me that I should take a piece of paper and draw a vertical line down the center and on one side write the things bugging me that I can fix and on the other the ones I have no control over. And then come up with some plans of action for the ones I can do something about.

That's a nice little theory, but I have a feeling that my doing nothing list would be a hell of a lot bigger than my action list.

He didn't exactly call me a doormat, but he kindof did. He's not really wrong.

10 comments:

Christy said...

Most of us moms are walked on. And some of us just seem to want to keep the peace so we don't stick u for ourselves. Yeah, I know because I've been there.

Kristy said...

Anyone you go see should be there to help you acheive your goals. If you want to take action then go for it.....but if you aren't ready that is your decision too. Decide what you want and then tell your shrink so he can help you get there. Unless you really want to throw someone to the wolves.....I am pretty sure that is illegal and he has to report it.

If you ever want to talk.....don't forget you have friends who will listen too. Hope you have a good weekend!

Miley said...

Sometimes it takes a stranger to knock you upside the head and make you think...
and sometimes strangers are stupid.

Attila the Mom said...

Well at least he sounds a bit pro-active. The therapists who are all about active listening and nothing else make me want to slap them upside the head. LOL

Tracie said...

Hmmm. I'm actually going to use that tip. I've got a lot of crap going on in my life right now.

Sara said...

I'm going to get on my high horse a little, so I apologize.

Was this dude a psychiatrist, a therapist or a counselor?

I'm training to be a therapist (so I admit I'm biased) but I feel like it's pretty damn presumptive to talk to you for half an hour and start telling you what you should do with your life.

Did he talk more than you did? I'm so interested. I want to hear as much as you're willing to share with me!

Marie Nicole said...

I went shopping for a therapist. After 3-4 years I came to the following conclusion: they are more nuts than any of their patients. Just book a weekly sit-down with Miley! :o)

I think I'm gonna move to Texas...

Miley said...

Yes!! Totally book a weekly sit down with me! I need a guinea pig, other than yoga boy.
Only, that part where you have to do what I say might be tricky...

I'm with Sara about him telling you what to do in such a short time BUT, since I know what exactly he did say, I think in THAT situation it's OK to challenge the situation.
As long as he's not forceful about it.

Otherwise, he should just ask challenging questions like "Why would it be a bad thing if _____"

Nikki - come on down!

Sandra said...

So in other words he was completely and utterly useless...

Judie said...

I've done that line down the center of the page thing. I doodled on both sides.